Super Web Mart - Discount Coupons & Deals - Discount Promos, Coupon Codes, Discount deals and web site reviews

Author Topic: Windows sucks, but everybody uses it?  (Read 3059 times)

Offline jerry

• View Profile
Windows sucks, but everybody uses it?
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Why do a lot of people said that Windows is a crappy OS but still, 90+% of the computers runs Windows. What's with linux/mac that windows doesnt have?

Webmaster Forum

Windows sucks, but everybody uses it?
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »

Offline Reema Khan

• View Profile
Re: Windows sucks, but everybody uses it?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Before windows 7 came out, people had a lot of problems with windows because of faulty memory reads and writes for device drivers causing regular General Protection Fault.
Most people who criticize Windows don't understand operating systems at all and bloat their system with tons of crap, which consumes small amount of resources, but together they equal a lot.
If they had a better understanding of the insides of a computer it would be a different matters. These people are just dumbasses and live in New York.
The main problem with these useless little applications is that they are written by developers who are sloppy and do not housekeep their code, use efficient algorithms or conserve memory, instead adding in all kinds of stupid useless crap...Microsoft would later admit that the 3D effect it used to use in Office consumed a huge amount of resources completely needlessly.

Linux is a far more stable operating system because there simply aren't tons of crap to add to it, programmers write cleaner code, and the core of the system is much much leaner.

The downfall for Linux and the big plus for Windows is user-friendliness. Some linux distros can be an absolute pain in the ass unless you know about your hardware. Years ago I used to have to build my own linux kernel just to get all my hardware working properly. Whereas Windows is ready to run after a nice graphical install.

Windows is for people who have no time to learn about computers. Linux is for people who give a damn about computers.

That 90% your talking about is because 90% of the people who use computers don't have the brains or the time to understand what's actually going on.

Offline wiseguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
So you're saying that all Windows users doesn't know anything or doesn't care about how the computer works?

And uhh... User Friendliness = Useless crap to you?
TOLET

Offline nicolas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
Before windows 7 came out, people had a lot of problems with windows because of faulty memory reads and writes for device drivers causing regular General Protection Fault.
Most people who criticize Windows don't understand operating systems at all and bloat their system with tons of crap, which consumes small amount of resources, but together they equal a lot.
If they had a better understanding of the insides of a computer it would be a different matters. These people are just dumbasses and live in New York.
The main problem with these useless little applications is that they are written by developers who are sloppy and do not housekeep their code, use efficient algorithms or conserve memory, instead adding in all kinds of stupid useless crap...Microsoft would later admit that the 3D effect it used to use in Office consumed a huge amount of resources completely needlessly.

Linux is a far more stable operating system because there simply aren't tons of crap to add to it, programmers write cleaner code, and the core of the system is much much leaner.

The downfall for Linux and the big plus for Windows is user-friendliness. Some linux distros can be an absolute pain in the ass unless you know about your hardware. Years ago I used to have to build my own linux kernel just to get all my hardware working properly. Whereas Windows is ready to run after a nice graphical install.

Windows is for people who have no time to learn about computers. Linux is for people who give a damn about computers.

That 90% your talking about is because 90% of the people who use computers don't have the brains or the time to understand what's actually going on.

QFT + Windows is the most popular operating system, hence thats why more people use it (more apps, support, etc).

Offline Sara Sonnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
simply because ppl write apps fr it wich r hell needed by ppl ..

actually its kinda monopoly wich microsoft is enjoying ,,

but i dont think it would be for long.

Offline brian

• View Profile
    • ILahore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
As far as desktops go, Linux is aimed at programmers/web developers/computer geeks ect, whereas Windows is aimed at the opposite. So it's pretty self explanitory why the majority of people use Windows.

However, the majority of web servers run Linux/*BSD, and a very small minority run Windows.

i.e. No one uses Windows for any serious computing.

Offline ben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »
it's true, windows is most used operating system.
I think there are 3 factors :

1. I have to admit Microsoft have very good marketing strategies
2. Many powerful application and fantastic games are developed for windows
3. Hardware's vendors prefer to support windows (i think it's because they're prefer closed source operating system)

Offline haji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
At work I use GNU/Linux (Debian to be precise), at home I use Windows.

For 2 years I've worked as an IT intern on a advertising agency and I had the opportunity to give support to a lot of Macintosh's (although I must confess that I've never really had the opportunity to "dig in" into the Apple's OS).

In my point of view, here are a lot of factors that contribute to Windows dominating the market:

* It comes pre-installed - Let's face it, the vast majority of users aren't experts on computers. They just want something that works, and for 90% of the computers sold by known manufacturers, Windows comes with the package. So why change? Why spend time learning how to install an operating system? Why have to bother with lack of drivers (btw, to deal with this problem they must also understand what a driver is, what hardware and software is, ...)?

* They are sold in stores - The market is dominated by Microsoft. I can't go to a major retailer and buy a laptop or a computer that comes with GNU/Linux (Netbooks are the exception). And the Apple products are just way to expensive, they are a great alternative for those who can afford them, I certainly can't...

* Hardware support - Again for a non expert, if you go for GNU/Linux and have the misfortune to have some piece of hardware that doesn't work "out of the box" you are basically screwed. Embrace the idea that probably you'll have a lot of hours ahead researching and applying a solution. Sure there is a lot of free support on the GNU/Linux community, but for those who don't have the slight interest (just want something that works) why bother?

* Software support - People are used to software that's developed to Windows. And by their nature, humans are resistant to change. Why should I switch from Outlook or Microsoft Office (that I use for years) to Evolution and OpenOffice? The first step to mainstream an alternative OS is to develop software that's supported by that OS and make it worth for the "big software companies" to migrate their solutions to that OS.

Although I don't consider Windows "a piece of crap" - it's a mature well thought piece of software - there are a lot of tasks where I cannot live without Debian (coding is one of them).

I also love the concept of Open Source. On the other end, I think that there is a LOT of software developed to GNU/Linux that would benefit from becoming proprietary (and not freely distributed), while being Open Source.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:43:40 AM by haji »

Offline missile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
Never had a problem with any windows OS or software. They had a monopoly in the late 90's over apple mac. Until mac sorted themselves out with a great marketing campaign and some great products. This being said now the market share for mac is growing I'm sure they will encounter the same problems that windows supposedly had with programs being written badly.

As i said I've never had a problem with windows but then i house keep mine all the time. I just love working with Linux but you kind of need to know what your doing.
Misguided Missile

Offline onetwothree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
Can't you code in Windows? Correct me if Im wrong but maybe(just maybe), what you can do in Linux can also be done in Windows, but not everything in Windows can be done in Linux. ( A lot of software is not available in Linux ie: Games)

Offline haji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
Can't you code in Windows? Correct me if Im wrong but maybe(just maybe), what you can do in Linux can also be done in Windows, but not everything in Windows can be done in Linux. ( A lot of software is not available in Linux ie: Games)
Sure I can. :D

As there are some advantages in Windows, I find some benefits in using GNU/Linux at work:

* Open Source - There is a lot of Open Source software out there, developed for GNU/Linux or other UNIX like OS. When approaching a new programming language, trying to solve complex problems, or just to get some help by reading some already made code - it facilitates a lot to have a machine running GNU/Linux.

I can grab already developed code, make modifications as I please, test them and use them.

* Servers - All the servers I (help) to manage have UNIX-based OS. Connecting to them and executing administrative tasks is just easier when using tools that were developed natively to support the protocols both the servers and my desktop use.

* Helpdesk - Although I work on a small company, sometimes computers break. Specially when dealing with faulty hardware and malware issues, having a GNU/Linux desktop makes the support task easier.

* No maintenance - my machine doesn't require maintenance. When productivity is critic, I turn to GNU/Linux. No disk fragmentation, no malware, no headaches.

* Web Development - One of my tasks is to develop content for the web. GNU/Linux gives me two big advantages - I can have a development environment very similar to the production environment and it's just easier when I turn to frameworks that require console usage (cakePHP and symphony).

* Ultimately - Besides the force of habit (I've been a GNU/Linux user for around 8 years now), I love being able to tweak the operating system inside out. As time went by, I've created a system where I truly feel comfortable.

This is where Windows has more limitations. At work I can do pretty much everything with my desktop, I even can correct small bugs when I find them.

Everything that I do on my Debian machine can certainly be done on a Windows one, but then again I just don't think I could do it as quickly and with as much quality and simplicity as I do it on Debian.

I'm also aware that I'm not the regular computer user. In my opinion GNU/Linux is not the OS right for everyone (and it shouldn't try to be). In my opinion there are many areas where Windows will never really reach GNU/Linux because of it's company philosophy, because of the way that they see the world, their business and software.

I applause initiatives like Ubuntu, which are turning this OS mainstream. But I think that it's completely different having a multi-billion sized machine developing software to "sell to the masses" rather than a team of 10 people working full-time on OS and to depend of a community who's basic concern is to get thinks working (not the user experience, not the visual appeal of the software, not even develop software that fills the need of the typical user).

Both Windows as GNU/Linux, as UNIX, as Solaris, as BSD, as FreeBSD, as Macintosh have their place on the market. Some of them are for everyone, some of them are for servers, some of them are for power users.

As I said I don't share the opinion that Windows is a bad OS (I really don't, I think it's a great piece of software), but on my line of work, when I need things done I do not relinquish of my Debian desktop.

Offline victory08

• View Profile
    • web development
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:16:47 AM »
Windows is not perfect but there is no operation system which is better than Windows. That's it.

Offline peterdell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »
I think Windows Vista sucks, from what I saw and heard about it. This is a big waste of computer resources. Windows in General not very secure and it's to much messing up and crashes. In addition customer support is usually very bad. Of course, I like Windows is much better than Linux, I would like to have a Mac, but can't afford it.

Offline C0ldf1re

• View Profile
    • C0ldf1re
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »
... No one uses Windows for any serious computing.

Making money is serious computing! And if your clients run Windows because it is user-friendly, then you have to program your applications in Windows. Once you're into coding, the O/S doesn't matter anyway. For example, it hardly affects my C++ coding logic.

Offline ngseo

• View Profile
    • Web Designer Chicago
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
The main reason why lots of people use Windows OS is that they know the environment well rather than Linux and Mac though I admit there are lots of viruses being created to destroyed the performance of that operating system.

Webmaster Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »