Super Web Mart - Discount Coupons & Deals - Discount Promos, Coupon Codes, Discount deals and web site reviews

Author Topic: Friendly URL question  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Sara Sonnet

• View Profile
Friendly URL question
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether there is a difference between using "_" or "-" in friendly urls? E.g.: will "Home_cooking" be better than "Home-cooking" for google and other search engines ?

And what about using "and" in friendy URLs, like in "Home-and-garden". Or is it better to just use "Home-Garden" ?

Webmaster Forum

Friendly URL question
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »

Offline Reema Khan

• View Profile
Re: Friendly URL question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
"Home_cooking" be better than "Home-cooking" ?

I'm not sure it matters to a bot, how readable its for the searcher that matters

I think

Offline jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:56:28 AM »
:)
If you have a url like dog_cat, Google will only return that page if the user searches for “dog cat″.

If your url is dog-cat, that page can be returned for the searches dog, cat, and “dog cat″.

Offline daftar-link

• View Profile
    • universal law of attraction
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
:)
If you have a url like dog_cat, Google will only return that page if the user searches for “dog cat″.

If your url is dog-cat, that page can be returned for the searches dog, cat, and “dog cat″.

can you show me the url for this information?
newbielink:http://www.becomingamoneymagnet.com [nonactive] newbielink:http://www.becomingamoneymagnet.com [nonactive]

Offline brian

• View Profile
    • ILahore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »
Sorry to disagree, but this can be tested with a search in Google:

[Jenn_birkenow]

12 results.

Remove the underscore and replace with a space and see what you get. A lot more results.

Replace with an hyphen and you get even more results.

Google is *looking at* making underscores work like hyphens, but it hasn't happened yet. An hyphen works like a space; an underscore makes the words work like a string literal.

From the horse's mouth. Matt Cutts is a Google engineer whose words are devoured by SEOs most of the time.

Offline brian

• View Profile
    • ILahore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:08 AM »
Added:

Since the question was about URLs more so than textual references, try the following searches:

inurl:"Jenn birkenow" (15 results)

inurl:Jenn-birkenow (15 results)

inurl:Jenn_birkenow (5 results)

They will find *URLs* containing those words. The URL format or the words used in the file name won't play a large role in whether the page will rank high for the search term. But it doesn't hurt to use hyphens as much as possible.

Offline angelina.maben

• View Profile
    • Bluetooth headsets
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »
I agree with brain. That is very true hyphen works like a space. Just see what result you get after removing hyphen and underscore.

Offline √asishta!!!

• No Me.. No Fun.. Know Me! Know Fun! :D
    • View Profile
    • Jus' Jokin!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:54:52 AM »
yep i agree..

thanks!

Offline crazyfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:54 AM »
Matt Cutts on dashes vs. underscores
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

I often get asked whether I’d recommend dashes or underscores for words in urls. For urls in Google, I would recommend using dashes. Why? To find out, let’s take a trip in the Google Time Machine. Set the dial for 1999, the year Matt first discovered Google. Matt was using, I dunno, maybe HotBot at that point? The curtain rises:

Matt: Hmm, this search for [FTP_BINARY] didn’t turn out the way I wanted. I got a couple scuzzy looking urls, and the other documents just have the words “FTP” and “BINARY” but the term “FTP_BINARY” doesn’t actually appear. (Note: Matt was a bit of a nerd, as you can tell.)
Some Random Person That I Don’t Remember: Have you tried Google?
Matt: What’s that?
SROTIDR: It’s a search engine written by nerds for nerds! They index numbers! Sometimes they even index punctuation, like “C++”. Try your underscore search there.
Matt: Okay, here goes. Whoa! They actually return pages with the literal string “FTP_BINARY”! That’s wicked cool! (Did I mention Matt was a nerd? Big-time nerd.)
SROTIDR: Yeah. The wild thing is that they wrote a paper about how they crawl the web and rank pages.
Matt: Well, now that’s just silly. I wonder why they didn’t keep it a secret? I bet those papers will make great reading for my information retrieval class.

I’ve stylized the conversation quite a bit, but I remember how impressed I was that Google indexed numbers and some punctuation (come to think of it, search engines have come a long way in five years). With underscores, Google’s programmer roots are showing. Lots of computer programming languages have stuff like _MAXINT, which may be different than MAXINT. So if you have a url like word1_word2, Google will only return that page if the user searches for word1_word2 (which almost never happens). If you have a url like word1-word2, that page can be returned for the searches word1, word2, and even “word1 word2″.

That’s why I would always choose dashes instead of underscores.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:05:36 AM »

Offline √asishta!!!

• No Me.. No Fun.. Know Me! Know Fun! :D
    • View Profile
    • Jus' Jokin!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:39 AM »
duh

Offline dnthornton

• me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:54:22 AM »
also agree with brian.. found some articles about how google treat underscores and hyphens, all the same result as what brian posted
online forex trading platform

Offline horhey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »
big thanks to the guys (especially crazy frog for the matt cutts quote) who shared those valuable inputs, i honestly didn't know that, that mattered...

Offline divengrabber

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 02:57:02 AM »
thanks for sharing it.

Offline Abbey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »
I can't understand your question properly. So I am very sorry. Plz mention your question in proper way.

Webmaster Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »